Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Remembering Barcelona

Barcelona, "Gaudi's City" was my destination of choice for the month of March! What a great choice it was...full of art, architecture, fashion, food and fun!  I traveled with my friend Catherine, with whom I've been to five different countries including France, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Turkey, and now Spain.

Many famous artists came out of Spain including Pablo Picasso, Anton Gaudi (architect), and surrealist painter, Joan Miro.  Gaudi's architectural influence is everywhere in the city...thus the nickname "Gaudi's City". 

 
  
Barcelona has been at the centre of the Street Art Movement for over a decade, inspiring writers & artists the world over.  This unique artistic expression can be seen everywhere.

I visited my second Olympic Stadium of the year. The 1992 Summer Olympics were held in Barcelona.

One of the main highlights of my trip was meeting Nunu, my Barcelonian-based massage therapist.  It is a rare treat when I get to meet one of my European therapists! 

She was a delight and besides giving myself and Catherine each an awesome massage...which we needed after many hours of airplane travel and hours of sightseeing on foot...she also took us to many local digs...including an authentic Flamenco club. 


A visit to the Benedictine Monk retreat at Montserrat offered some of the most spectacular mountain views of Catalunya.

We took a break from Barcelona’s frenetic pace to venture into the countryside of Catalonia.  We enjoyed lunch in a winery where local families eat on Sundays.  We began our meal with glasses of cava, Spanish sparkling wine, and ended with a splurge on roasted veggies, tapas, lamb, sausage, and ended with the traditional carmalized-flan!

Barcelona Baby!  I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment